Dr G. Taru Sharma is a molecular reproductive biologist, with the major research emphasis on buffalo embryo genomics and stem cell therapeutics in livestock and pets, did her doctorate in 1989 from ICAR-IVRI with full fellowship support in animal physiology as a major discipline, animal biochemistry and animal reproduction as minor disciplines, PDF in 1999 from LSU, Baton Rouge, USA on somatic cell cloning using bovine IVF embryos.
Before joining DBT-NIAB, she was Principal Scientist and Head Physiology and Climatology Division, Director Centre for Advanced Faculty Training and Chairperson, faculty of Veterinary Physiology, at ICAR- IVRI, Izatnagar. During last 35 years of research and academic experience she did serve at the ICAR-Central institute for research on goats, Makhdoom, Center for Biotechnology, NDDB, Mumbai, mentored by Prof. KKG Menon at NDDB and Dr. Lalji Singh at CCMB, Hyderabad for buffalo embryo sexing. Research Scientist at Bio Med., a vaccine producing unit, established a Cell culture Lab of QC Unit.
Dr. Sharma has developed a novel, innovative and efficacious three-dimensional (3D) microenvironment model, developed efficient technique for buffalo female germplasm cryopreservation in indigenously developed cryo-device. Elucidated expression pattern profile and characterization of developmental important gene for in-vitro produced and in-vivo derived buffalo embryos. Documented, excellent studies on translational feasibility & application of adult/fetal stem cells, her group has made a dent to highlight the molecular and cellular characterization from the bone marrow derived stem cells of buffaloes, goat fetal adnexa derived stem cells authenticated by its therapeutic application, before and after cryopreservation. She has published more than 125 research papers of International repute and presented more than 200 papers at various National and International platform, visited 11 countries. She is Fellow NASI, NAAS, FAO and SAPI, has mentored more than a thirty M.V.Sc and Ph.D scholars, authored books/ book chapters, applied four patents. She is a member of important policy related committees at ICAR, DBT, CSIR and others. She is an EC member of NAAS and member of the Inter academia panel for women in STEMM. Dr. Sharma holds important positions in various scientific societies and she is the founder president of Animal Physiologists Association.
1. ICAR- RAFI AHMED KIDWAI AWARD-2018 (Highest research award of Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi)
2. G. P. Talwar Oration Gold Medal-2019
3. ICAR-Bharat Ratna Dr. C. Subramaniam Award for Outstanding Teachers- 2016.
4. Labhsetwar award by for the significant contributions in an area of Reproductive Physiology-2016
5. ICAR-IVRI Best Teacher Award-2013
6. Dr. A. Roy Memorial Award-2012
7. Award of honor by the Governor of U.P on World Veterinary Day, for successfully treated Canine spinal injuries, paraplegia, non-union fracture healing and wound repair through stem cell therapy-2011
8. DBT- NATIONAL BIOSCIENCE AWARD FOR CAREER DEVELOPMENT-2006
9. ICAR-Panjabrao Deshmukh Best Woman Agricultural Scientist Award-2004
10. WEAL award of ISIWCD-2003
11. Nils Lagerlof Memorial Award- 2001
12. Young scientists Merit certificate by Indian Science Congress Association-1994
13. Young scientist’s award and young scientist gold medal from SAPI-1993.