Sarwar Azam completed M Tech degree in Computational and Systems Biology from Jawaharlal Nehru University in 2009. After working for a short period at National Institute of Plant Genome Research (NIPGR), he joined International Crop Research Center for the Semi-Arid Tropic (ICRISAT) in 2010 as Visiting Scientist (Bioinformatics). Later he continued as a Special Project Scientist at ICRISAT in the field of computational genomics. He joined NIAB in November 2013.
Selected awards, honors and fellowships:
1. Certificate of Appreciation for the outstanding contribution in the area of Functional Genomics and Bioinformatics as part of Bioclues Innovation, Research and Development (BIRD) award, 2011
2. Exceptional Scientific Article in a High Impact Journal Award, ICRISAT, 2011
3. CSIR – UGC NET examination in Life sciences held in June 2008, December 2008 & June 2009
4. DBT fellowship 2007-2009 for M.Tech. course
5. BCIL Fellowship for BITP from DBT, Govt. of India, 2006