Dr. Syed Faisal did his B.Sc. (Biochem) in 1998, M.Sc. (Biotech) in 2000 and PhD (Biotech) in 2006 from Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India. He worked as a Post-Doctoral Fellow (Oct. 2005 to Sep 2008) and as a Research Associate (Oct. 2008 to Aug 2013) at College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, USA. He then worked as a Research Scientist (Aug 2013 to March 2014) at Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, USA, before joining NIAB in March 2014.
Selected awards, honours and fellowships:
1. Maurice R Hillman early stage career investigation award (semi-finalist), 2009 from Merck and NFID, USA,
2. Ramalingaswami Re-Entry Fellowship 2012 from DBT(Govt. of India),
3. Edward Jenner Vaccine Award 2014 from International Society of Vaccines, USA
4. Travel award 2017 from International Leptospirosis Society (ILS). He is serving as
5. Academic Editor of PLOS ONE
6. Editorial Board member of Nature Scientific Reports.
7. Member of International Society for Vaccines, American Society for Microbiology, International Leptospirosis Society and Federation of Clinical and Immunological Society.
Dr. Faisal research experience spans Immunology of zoonotic infections and development of vaccine adjuvants. His major research contribution has been in the identification and characterization of candidate antigens for development of subunit vaccine for leptospirosis and live attenuated vaccines for the prevention of paratuberculosis. He has also developed some novel adjuvants capable of inducing both humoral and cell mediated immunity. His current research interests include understanding Leptospira host interaction for developing effective vaccines and diagnostic tools and also in development of novel vaccine adjuvants.
Area of Specialization: Bacterial pathogenesis, Host pathogen interaction, Vaccine Immunology, Adjuvant Engineering/Design and testing